Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 1, 2010

ROBBED ON THE METRO! BOOOOO!

So today Brandie, Shelley, Jessica, Mary, Reese and I went into Milan. We had a grand old time checking everything out and I got some cash out as my spending money until next payday. We got on the metro home and Reese was sitting on my bag on my hip. She then decided she wanted to try her luck standing on the train. I saw the guy pretending to be a crippled beggar come onto the train.(and yes he was INDEED pretending, I'm a nurse, he was as fake as they come) I looked down at my bag and saw it was unzipped and saw my wallet there, moved it around under my arm to protect it since my hands were busy having Reese not fall flat on her face. At this point Reese decides to let go of the bar and I reach down to grab her and steady her, stand back up and half a minute later look into my bag....wallet gone. The "beggar" was down the other end of the train at that time and I debated whether to say anything or not but I gave Reese to Brandie and flew after him and told him to give me my wallet back. Then patted his jacket pockets and another man asked him in Italian if he had my wallet. Obviously he's not going to say yes. I'm fairly sure he had it down his pants since they were baggy and could easily have hidden it. So what else could I do other than slam him down and search him, not really appropriate to someone who is supposed to be a beggar on a crowded train in a foreign country. The thought did cross my mind though until I realized that it would likely be ME that was arrested if that happened. So he got off the train at the next stop and I sat down and cried :)
Cancelled all my cards, what I'm MOST angry about it my coach wallet that I worked hard to buy myself and the 160 Euro that was my spending money for the next two weeks.
However, I have come around from being angry, always look at the bright side right? I just don't get the new pair of jeans I wanted, and I won't be going out for social lunches or buying anything frivalous for the next two weeks, what if he'd taken that off someone who had three kids to feed and that was all they had!?!?!
So....I'll be more careful next time, expensive price to pay and next time a little old fake beggar man comes near me I'll have to try very hard not to kick out their cane.
Welcome to the big city!!!!

5 comments:

CARROT aka Karen October 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

Rachel - I am so impressed by your outlook and the fact you were able to overcome the anger and hurt. Good for you!Heaven help that bastard should he cross your path again though!!!

CARROT aka Karen October 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

rachel-i heard wat happened about ur mac book and i phone and the train and im surprised u havnt given up and came back to canada. you should take a long vacation away from italy and spend a month with us- bobby

Andrea October 2, 2010 at 2:59 AM  

i am so proud of the way you handled it Rach. With your military training the "poor little cripple" and I say that with sarcasm! would not stand a chance if you took him down hahaha. Have to think positive and learn from the experience. Love you tons xoxox

Rachel October 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

hahaha well Bobby.....see the food is just too good here!!!! So I can't leave now :) If I could send you a piece of pizza in the mail I would!!!!!

CARROT aka Karen October 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

(From Bobby)

You're there for the food?!

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
Milan, Italy
I am 34 years old, married to my wonderful husband Richard and mother to a beautiful 8 year old daughter named Reese. We lived in the suburbs of Calgary until January 2010 where I worked as an ER Nurse. Then my husband was transferred to Vancouver for a 6 month temporary project. Our blog Tripping over the Sidewalk told all about our adventure living on the 30th floor of an apartment building in the middle of downtown Vancouver. Then we moved to Milan, Italy for 18 months, Ciao-Eh was the online forum for our Italian adventures. We moved to Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates in January 2012 and lived there for two and a half years. Sandscrapers, Souks and Sand is the blog of our adventures in the Middle East! We are now happy to be back on a little acreage just outside of Calgary where I'm sure more adventures await!!!!

Labels

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP